TESTING (all data in S# mode):
- STOCK (no mods)
- STOCK (no mods) w/ STAGE 1 TUNE
- AMR BMI CAI w/ STAGE 1 PLUS TUNE
- A restriction caused by the air filter or air intake system ducting / tubing upstream to the turbochargers compressor.
- 2016 HyperBlue Subaru STi
- The data acquisition on the graph above shows the vehicle in stock form running the factory tune with no modifications. We did for base line data to measure the amount of “depression” / “restriction” the factory air box system has running the factory tune.
STOCK BOOST PRESSURE -vs- STAGE 1 BOOST PRESSURE -vs- INTAKE DEPRESSION
- The data acquisition in the graph above shows the STOCK BOOST PRESSURE -vs- STAGE 1 TUNE BOOST PRESSURE -vs- INTAKE DEPRESSION.
- The STAGE 1 TUNE targets higher boost levels than the factory tune. This increase in boost pressure indicates a larger increase of intake depression. The data acquisition on the graph shows the intake system’s restriction greatly increased.
STOCK BOOST PRESSURE -vs- STAGE 1 BOOST PRESSURE -vs- STAGE 1 PLUS BOOST PRESSURE -vs- INTAKE DEPRESSION
- Now we install the AMR BMI Cold Air Intake System for testing.
- Due to the increased size of the AMR BMI Cold Air Intake (76mm) over the factory intake air box, a mass air flow (MAF) scaling is required.
- Upon properly re-scaling and leaving boost targets identical the STAGE 1 TUNE, data acquisition results on the graph shows the LARGE DECREASE in depression.
- The decrease in depression resulted in the turbocharger’s boost response coming in sooner in the RPM band as well as an increase in pressure stabilizing in the upper RPM band toward redline.
- The intake depression at 18.4psi now shows the same restriction as the factory air box did at 15psi BUT with a DECREASE of restriction over 5500rpm by -0.10!
POWER -vs- INTAKE DEPRESSION:
- The data acquisition on the graph shows the HORSEPOWER -vs- INTAKE DEPRESSION through testing.
- Though the STAGE 1 TUNE increase HP widely through the RPM band, it also increased the depression / restriction in the intake system.
- The STAGE 1 PLUS TUNE w/ AMR BMI Cold Air Intake shows a large DECREASE in restriction on the intake system as well as making more power throughout the RPM band at the same boost levels as STAGE 1.
THE TOTAL RESULT GRAPH:
- – The results net an increase in HORSEPOWER & TORQUE over the factory air-box while drastically decreasing intake system depression which net a increase in turbocharger response. Bringing BOOST in quicker, stabilizing boost consistency throughout the RPM band and increasing horsepower & torque in certain areas by 5-7% and others areas of the RPM band as high as 10-15%.
- – Bottom line: LESS RESTRICTION = MORE POWER!
amr bmi cold air intake system